Work & Study in Canada

Work & Study in Canada

Work & Study programs in Canada

These are College programs in Canada, where the work component is mandatory to graduate. This means that you must work to be able to take your educational degree in Canada. These programs are also known as “Co-Op Programs”. The word Co-Op comes from “cooperation”.

The reason is that they are programs where the work experience in Canada is part of the academic program itself. That is why the programs will always be 50% study (and work up to 20 hours per week) + 50% just work.

Most popular Co-Op programs

Toronto School of Management

Hospitality & Tourism Coop Program
Business Administration Coop Program


Customer Service Coop Program
Sales and Marketing Program Coop Program


Hospitality & Tourism Coop Program
International Business Management Coop Program

Co-op programs
in Canada

Generally, the program is divided into two parts: the educational part developed in the College and the work experience. Depending on the program, you will spend the first 4 to 13 months at the College to acquire the specialized knowledge that you will use in your work in the second part of the program.

During study time, the student can work part-time up to 20 hours per week. Also, some schools have regular weekly breaks during which the student can work full time.

The second half is when the student must apply what they have learned in a company related to their specialization. During this time, the student works as a full-time intern for the same amount as the academic period in order to gain hands-on Canadian experience.

Why choose a Co-Op program?

Affordable tuition

Private Colleges offer scholarships and grants to support international students

Work while studying

During academic periods the student is allowed to work 20 hrs/week and full time on scheduled breaks

Get a canadian diploma

Studying in Canada helps you to develop the skills employers require to succeed in the labour market.

Frequently Asked Questions

These are the most common questions asked by international students.

  • Choose the course you want to take. Canada offers a wide variety of study programs, you should research and discover which one suits your needs and preferences. If you want to consult all our programs and benefits, contact us here.
  • Apply for a Visa that allows you to work and study legally. Remember that if you want to study and work in Canada, you must apply for a Study Permit. By being enrolled in a post-secondary program you can apply for a work permit linked to your student permit. Otherwise, you will not be able to work legally within the country. We will take care of your entire process.
  • Make sure you have the necessary funds to cover your trip. Before organizing your trip, it is good that you know what budget you have. In this way, you will know in which city of Canada it is convenient for you to study, choose the duration of the course you are going to take and the amount of money you need to cover the first weeks of your stay.

Depending on your interest, how long you are considering studying, the type of certification you are aiming for and the budget you have set aside for your educational journey, there are a wide variety of educational programs and educational institutions that will allow you to study and work in Canada. The programs that offer the possibility of working while you study are:

  • Certificates and Diplomas of more than 6 months in Colleges and Universities
  • Undergraduate programs at Colleges and Universities
  • Postgraduate Programs in Universities

Many times we wonder if the salary we are going to receive working either part-time, during the internship period or with the Co-Op component will be enough to cover all expenses. You have to consider the different Canadian cities where you are going to study and work since depending on where you are, the cost of living is different, but generally, your salary will help cover your living expenses.

The minimum wage varies by province and is generally paid by the hour:

  • Alberta $ 15 CAD
  • British Columbia $ 15.20 CAD
  • Manitoba $ 11.90 CAD
  • Ontario $ 15.25 CAD
  • Quebec $ 13.50 CAD
  • New Brunswick $ 11.75 CAD
  • Newfoundland and Labrador $ 12.50 CAD
  • Northern Territories $ 13.46 CAD
  • Nova Scotia $ 12.95 CAD
  • Nunavut $ 16 CAD
  • Prince Edward Island $ 13 CAD
  • Saskatchewan $ 11.45 CAD
  • Yukon $ 13.85 CAD

* CAD- Canadian Dollars

In order to study and work in Canada, you must apply for a student visa. The general requirements if you are a student from Mexico, Colombia, Costa Rica, Chile or another Latin American country, which the Canadian embassies require in order to apply for a study visa are:

  • A letter of acceptance issued by a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  • Demonstrate sufficient income to pay your tuition and your personal expenses.
  • Your valid passport.
  • Have a flight to and from your country of origin. (If the program is less than 1 year)
  • Obey the law, have no criminal record and obtain a certificate of no criminal record if requested.
  • Be in good health and undergo a medical examination if required.
  • Be able to prove to an official that you will be leaving Canada when your study permit ends.

* Depending on your nationality, the required documents may vary slightly.

After graduating from a Co-Op program, you can transition to a Public College for higher Postgraduate studies. Once you graduate from the Public College, you have the option of staying and working in Canada by applying for a Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP), with which you obtain a work permit for your area of study.

This permit has a duration equivalent to the program completed, up to a maximum of 3 years. The minimum time of studies required to request it is 8 months. Through this permit, you can apply for a Canadian residence visa

And you know what’s best? If you travel with your partner, he or she can work full time for the duration of your study program.

If you wish to stay in Canada temporarily to work and have graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), at the end of some study programs it is possible to apply to the PGWP. To apply you have 180 days after obtaining the final grades of the course and your student permit must be valid, as well as your passport (for the period that the PGWP will be valid) to avoid any problems.

The duration of the PGWP depends on how long you have completed your study program. If your program was for a period of more than 8 months but less than 2 years, a valid PGWP can be granted up to the same duration of your study program. If your program was 2 years or more, a PGWP can be granted with a validity of up to 3 years.

After finishing your PGWP period you have the possibility to start a process to obtain Canadian Permanent Residence.

Do you want to get more information?

Our team of education and immigration specialists will support you in achieving your goals in Canada